In 2021 I was commissioned to draw a cartoon depicting the founders of St. Anne’s Golf Course in North Bull Island, Dublin. The cartoon was published in a history of the golf club marking its centenary year in 2021. It’s a fine book written and edited by Dick O’Riordan, who commissioned the cartoon, and is bursting with photos and history of the club and the area it’s located in.
- Band Logo Design Ireland: Kybosh Band Caricatures in Van!
- Caricature Poster Design: Totally 80’s – St John of God Kerry Services
- Bloomsday: Wicklow Heather House Bloomsday Gin
- Blue Teapot Theatre Company Christmas Card 2020
- Countess Markievicz shooting Kildare Street and University Club Window
The context of the cartoon was the three founders coming up with the idea while out on their boat, the Idle Hours:
“Near the end of the First World War three young friends, Marmaduke Montgomery Devitt, Tussy Murray and Dudley Stuart who enjoyed sailing and fishing from their boat called “Idle Hours” in Dublin Bay, developed an interest in playing the game of golf.” [Club History, St. Anne’s Website]
The front cover of the book.
Detail from inside the book featuring my cartoon.
I’m Allan Cavanagh and I have been professionally producing caricatures and cartoon art for over 20 years.
Want to follow my socials? Click here for Caricatures by Allan Cavanagh on Facebook and click here for Allan Cavanagh’s Instagram.